Installing a commercial overhead garage door for your business is a substantial investment — one that calls for careful research.
- What is the main function of the door?
- Why am I having a new garage door installed for my business in the first place?
- Will this door be customer facing — or will it be used primarily for shipping and back-of-the-house access?
- What kind of loading requirements will you need?
- Will you be loading large semis?
- Will your new garage door need to be hurricane proof or fire proof?
- What kind of theft prevention security options will you need?
Here are a few of the most common garage doors to consider for your commercial business.
Overhead Garage Doors
Overhead garage doors are by far the most popular option for businesses. These work similarly to residential garage doors, but really have unlimited options when it comes to size. (In fact, you can get an overhead garage door for an airport hanger. It’s not unheard of.) Most of the doors are opened via remote control, though manual is also an option. They are made up of horizontal slats that are connected together. They can be made out of galvanized steel, wood, or even glass and aluminum — a popular option for bars, restaurants and coffee shops.
Roll Up Doors
The beauty of roll up doors for commercial businesses is they don’t require a lot of space. These doors roll up into a small enclosure, so you hardly even notice they are there when they are in an open position. These are ideal for doors and loading docks. They are a popular option for mall front stores as well.
Fire Rated Garage Doors
If you live in Roseville, California, you really should consider a fire rated door, especially considering how intense wildfires have gotten over the last several years. These doors are highly durable — made from stainless steel that is insulated and noise resistant. The advantage of these doors is they automatically close when a fire is detected. Many businesses include them throughout their warehouse or back dock storage area as a matter of fire protection.